Tuesday, March 17, 2015

 3/17/15

Vicious
Sara Shepard



Vicious is the last book of the sixteen total books of the Pretty Little Liars series.  Although I am sad to be letting go of yet another series, I can't help but feel relieved. Following these books for about the last two years has been exciting and stressful. I loved reading more about the characters' journey, however, I felt as if the plot was extremely redundant and repetitive. They go through a horrible experience which they try to forget, A threatens them, they suspect someone is A, they go on a dangerous trip to try to prove this person is A, it turns out that person is not A, someone dies, etc.
This book, however, was different, which I greatly appreciate.

The Liars are suspected of killing Ali, and are awaiting their court date. Each of them go through their own stage of depression, all contemplating running away, suicide, or disappearing. They -once again- suspect that someone is A, so, going against the court, go on a secret mission to another country trying to prove that that person is A. However, their lead, once again, turns out to be a false lead, and the girls are left feeling defeated. Emily, who had never been very stable minded, walks out into a raging storm and drowns. The other three girls are left depressed (even more than they already are), and Aria runs away to Europe, Spencer continues on her plan of "disappearing", and Hana makes a rash decision to get married before meeting her inevitable fate-going to jail.

The police end up catching Aria, and she is quickly flown back home. In a surprising (not really) turn of events, Emily managed to survive the storm and find Ali on the way. It turns out that she saw Ali living at her mother's old house, and the two get into a huge brawl. Just kidding. Emily calls the cops and they arrest Ali. All charges are then dropped on the girls and they end up living happily ever after.

The ending doesn't really surprise me, since I know that the author would never kill any of the main girls; the fans would have an uproar. The "I pretend to be dead but am not really dead because I am going off to save you all" plot line is one that is often used, and I feel as if though it was sort of predictable, it was a nice change from the previous repetitive plots of the books.

This book was amazing, as was the series, and I recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure, mystery, and romance book all mixed into one. :)

Check out the wiki!

No comments:

Post a Comment